Harley is a Platform Engineer with 7+ years experience in IT, across Support, Infrastructure, SysAdmin and most recently Cloud functions. He has experience working with tooling such as Terraform, Packer, Jenkins, Powershell, and has a real passion for automation. Although most experienced using Windows and AWS Cloud, he loves to learn new technologies, and regularly attends technology events to keep up-to-date with the latest trends.
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect Professional (2019)
- Level 3 Award in First Line Management (Charted Management Institute)
BJSS Ltd (March 2019 - Present)
Infrastructure, automation, and application delivery in the delivery phase of projects.
Alterian Software Ltd (October 2016- March 2019)
Site Reliability Engineering Manager (October 2018 - March 2019)
- Line management of the Site Reliability Engineering team.
- Conducting interviews, on-boarding, hiring process for new team members.
- Infrastructure-as-code (Terraform, Packer, PowerShell, Bash).
- Design and planning for rearchitecting our product(s) to utilise AWS services, including containers (PowerShell, AWS, Docker).
- Organisation and ongoing support for the migration of our flagship product to AWS, including architecture redesign and implementation (Windows Server, SQL, AWS).
- Designing and implementing tooling and automation to improve testing, monitoring.(PowerShell, AWS).
- Implementation of improved deployment pipelines (Terraform, Packer, PowerShell,Jenkins).
- Building project roadmap, and reporting to management on progress.
Site Reliability Engineer (March 2018 - October 2018)
- Infrastructure-as-code, including Terraform, Packer.
- Design and planning for rearchitecting our product(s) to utilise AWS services.
- Organisation and ongoing support for the migration of our flagship product to AWS, including architecture redesign and implementation.
- Designing and implementing tooling and automation to improve testing, monitoring and the deployment pipeline.
- Transformation of the development process for one of our products to Kanban from Scrum, improving flow of work from request to completion and adding additional reporting abilities to identify bottlenecks going forward.
- Roll out of the cloud cost optimisation framework to keep track of (and action) cloud hosting costs.
Corporate IT Lead (November 2016 - March 2018)
- Successful and cost-effective IT stand up of Alterian following private equity acquisition, coming in hundreds of thousands of pounds under budget. - Business application implementation and integration. - Created, documented and rolled out IT processes and security policies globally to user-base and key stakeholders.
- Lead of IT function, including Alterian office infrastructure.
- Key stakeholder in the migration of Alterian hosted products from data centre to AWS, including cloud architecture design and implementation.
- Created, documented and rolled out IT processes and security policies globally to user-base and key stakeholders.
SDL PLC (February 2012 - September 2016)
IT Systems Engineer
- 3rd line Support 300+ users local/remotely in the EMEA region
- Configure, maintain and troubleshoot servers and storage (ESX, Hyper-V, SAN,Windows, Linux)
- Optimise, configure, troubleshoot and resolve issues with on-site and remote infrastructure for 7 sites UK, Ireland, Nordics and Europe.
- Optimisation of backup hardware and processes-Plan, Coordinate and collaborate on region-wide projects.
- Contact with external vendors to procure hardware.
- Comply with, and create, documented processes
- Documentation & Diagrams of internal processes, services and systems